Sunday 3 July 2011

Wimbledon 2011: Petra Kvitova beats Maria Sharapova to title


The 21-year-old's shot-making ability proved too much for Sharapova in a 6-3 6-4 victory on Centre Court.
Kvitova is the first Czech since Jana Novotna in 1998 to win Wimbledon, and Novotna and former Czech great Martina Navratilova were in the Royal Box.
"It's hard to find some words," Kvitova told BBC Sport afterwards.
"I'm standing here with the trophy and I see some great players in the Royal Box. It's very nice that Martina Navratilova and Jana Novotna are watching me and have supported me all the time during the tournament and gave me some advice.

Sharapova said: "Unfortunately there is only one winner at the end of day.
"I have had amazing support over so many years and to be back at this stage and holding the runners-up trophy - I wanted that big one and it's something I'm going to be back for and will get again."

Congratulations Kvitoka.

No comments:

Post a Comment